Fashion Time   +  films

The Story of Bonnie and Clyde
As the fall/winter months approach, I always find myself infinitely inspired by Faye Dunaway's wardrobe in "Bonnie and Clyde." She was quite possibly the best-dressed female crook ever (the best male being Cary Grant as John Robie the Cat, natch). How could Warren Beatty's Clyde resist her Bonnie's wardrobe of long tweed skirts, trench coats, fitted sweaters, silk scarves, mary janes, and berets? The film's costumes, designed by Theodora van Ruckle, were dubbed the "gun moll" look (named after Bonnie's nickname) and helped usher in a 1930s style revival during the late sixties. Even Faye's honey-blonde bobbed haircut has been an inspiration for me; I cut my ribcage-length hair to a shoulder-length bob last year to evoke Faye's look more. And though I don't look as killer in knitted sweaters and bandana scarves (nor do I have her cutglass cheekbones) as she did, Faye as Miss Bonnie Parker had such a beautiful classic look that anyone could pull it off. Just as the film itself has remained just as revolutionary and important four decades later as it did upon release, Miss Dunaway's fantastic look has inspired many girls like me for over forty years.