Fashion Time   +  shopping

I'm warming up to color, in tiny jolts.
Perhaps partly affected by the somber worldwide mood brought about by the recession, I find myself donning nothing but neutrals lately: grays, whites, beiges and blacks, with emphasis on the blacks. Navy is the closest I get to wearing color.
Nevertheless, yesterday, in need of a quick shopping fix, I decided to pick up these two pairs of knit fingerless gloves from Topman to wear on an upcoming trip to Europe. One in forest green, the green knit fingerless gloves seen on The Sartorialist and Jak and Jil (the store assistant had to rummage through the stock room to find the last pair!)and another in a blindingly bright fluorescent yellow-green, just for kicks.Putting on the the neon pair, my heart literally skipped a beat, my eyes not anymore used to seeing something with such saturated color against my skin. It was a happy heartbeat-skipping feeling; does this spell more color to come? Here they are worn:vintage bowler hat, Zara military jacket in heavy jersey, Topman fluo fingerless gloves, Cheap Monday 45 min stonewash skinnies, custom-made Solimann bootsTiny jolts of color, I believe, are also what breathed life and uniqueness into Robert Geller's Fall 2009 collection, which to me is really the only relevant collection in the whole of NY fashion week so far. I'm a fan of the plums and teals,the amish-style hats,and this look, which makes ombre and hot pink look fresh again. It amazes me how he worked a shirt that was so Miami-sunset-on-crack into a look that still had an air of darkness and mystery, but which was livened up by that jolt of pink.Plus points for the side-swept pompadour in ash gray.

P.S. Yesterday, it came as a nice surprise to see on my Blogger Dashboard that Robbie Spencer, Menswear Fashion Editor of Dazed and Confused, via this blogger URL, just started publicly following The Dandy Project.If it really is you, Robbie, know that I admire your work, doubly admire your sense of style, and immensely covet your job! I hope you don't mind having a fingerless glove doppelganger.