Fashion Time   +  tailoring

My Debut as a Frustrated Designer: The Floral Shirt
As you know a huge part of my posts on this blog deals with the "projects" that I take on with my tailor: following these pieces from the inspiration, to the conceptualization, to the fabrication, and finally, working them into an outfit. Recently, I have started to become more experimental with my projects, actually "designing" pieces from scratch as opposed to having classic/basic pieces made, or having things copied. This floral shirt, which I blogged about having made a couple of weeks ago, is my debut as a frustrated designer.I'm slowly dipping my toes into design, trying to practice restraint. The only design input that came from me really, besides strict specifications on the fit, would be the covered placket, which is the flap that conceals the buttons in front. I think it adds a much-needed shot of modernity and masculinity to such a grandmotherly fabric.

I was very pleased with how the fabric draped; silk drapes and flows very much differently than cotton, which is the most common shirting material for men. Silk also holds pigments better than cotton, so you could achieve more vivid colors on silk that don't fade as you wash it. I do think they should start making more shirts for men in silk. Here it is worn:Philippine-made straw hat, floral shirt designed by me (I just love saying that.), Opening Ceremony for Uniqlo cropped khakis, H&M shoes