Fashion Time   +  Marianne Faithfull

tonight i'll sing my songs again, i'll play the game and pretend
Okay, so I got back in town this morning from the longest, oddest family gathering I have ever been to. I had never been to that part of New Jersey, nor had I spent such an extended period of time with that sect of my family before and it was quite an experience I would say. I hung out with my cousins and people I had never met before but was assured by them that I had met them when I was a baby. On Monday night, while "hanging out" with some of my cousins, I tracked down a copy of (i.e. happened to stumble upon) "The Girl on a Motorcycle" in the store. I had been wanting to see this film for years as it has the fantastic casting of both Marianne Faithfull and Alain Delon. The film uses a lot of trippy camera shots, leather, and very pretty people, so it was definitely my kind of film.Faithfull stars as Rebecca, a bored housewife (a common theme in French cinema around this time it seems) who jets off on her motorcycle in an 'Easy Rider'-style adventure to be with her former lover Daniel (Delon), leaving her new husband behind. It was a fun movie -- not like a campy/weird/fun movie, but a 60s sexiness and an occasionally and profoundly random movie. Marianne spends the majority of the film on the back of her Harley in a full leather suit (sans anything else), but there are a lot of flashbacks throughout, including a rather random skiing trip in the middle of the film that was a little too idyllic for Rebecca's frame of mind and narrative. With all her leather and rebelliousness, Rebecca's look and frame of mind was similar to Marlon Brando's character in "The Wild One" with the need to be free and spontaneous. As Rebecca proclaims in the beginning of the film "rebellion is the only thing that keeps you alive!"