Fashion Time   +  projects

The DIY Band-collar Shirt
My favorite DIY projects are those that are breezy-quick and easy as peas. I bought this denim shirt from Zara despite it being one size larger than what I usually wear. It looked great in the fitting-room; I even thought it was slightly reminiscent of the Lanvin x Acne collection.But days passed, and I wasn't getting as much wear out of it as I had hoped. It was beginning to look more to me like suburban soccer mom driving a mini-van than Acne by Lanvin, pardon the cheap rhyme play.
I needed something new to wear one night, so, snip-snip, I completed my quickest DIY project ever in less than ten minutes!
I cut along the line of my intended band-collar, trying to get as close to it as possible but taking caution not to cut into the band-collar as this would ruin the seam and unravel the collar.I tried to cut continuously for a clean finish, but my nearly infantile motor skills meant I had to go back more than a couple of times to retouch parts I failed to cut close enough.I was very pleased with the transformation; somehow converting it into a band-collar shirt finally made the slightly oversize proportions work as I had imagined.a new shirt in much less time than it would take to think of a clever new Twitter message
I reckon this would be a great way to update any old button-down shirt. Most button-downs with standard collars do have band-collars under the "flap", it's just a matter of exposing the band collar. If you don't mind a few raw threads peeking out of the collar edge (I personally think it's quite charming!) this would be a quick and easy way to get the feeling of having a new shirt. DIY is the recession's best friend!
Here it is worn, with the curly quiff I had blogged about earlier:Ray-ban tortoiseshell glasses, DIY whistle necklace, DIY band-collar shirt, Cartier watch, tailor-made pants, Opening Ceremony suede saddle shoes