Fashion Time   +  wishlist

The Cape Crusader
The cape is high on my wish list for next winter, and I urge you to seriously consider getting one too. A bit dramatic, perhaps, but it serves a pragmatic purpose as an addition layer to wear over a wool winter coat, saving you the money you would otherwise be spending on a bigger, bulkier coat that, chances are, won't be as attractive. Plus, the new offerings in the cape department are much shorter and a little bit less voluminous, more Sherlock Holmes than Zorro.Robert Geller FW 2010, photo by Chris Reed for Dazed
In his Fall/Winter 2010 collection, Robert Geller presented some handsome capes,photo by Chris Reed for Dazed
as well as fur vestsfrom The Fashionisto
and even oversize stolesfrom The Fashionisto
that can all be used as "coat enhancements", simultaneously warming up and adding visual interest to cold-weather coats and jackets that are already in one's closet.
I got a chance to briefly chat with the designer at his show's after party at the Jane hotel, and he talked about how the collection was inspired by the idea of just throwing pieces together that don't really seem to fit, sort of like dressing in the dark.Robert Geller at the Jane Hotel, NYC
Though I may not be completely convinced of the carelessness of the styling wonder that was his Fall 2010 show, I was quite impressed at how pleasant he was. He's a nice guy, perhaps even slightly timid.
Earlier that night, I was at my friend Kasandra Crippen's studio, and played dress-up with a few of her structural, unisex creations.the studio with a few works-in-progress
I really liked how the shoulders on this heavy linen cape were pointed and slightly structured without being stiffened up by boning.heavy linen cape by Kasandra Crippenthe designer in her own creation, what I'd describe as a semi-structured shawl-silhouette cape-coat
Apologies for the lateness, but thank you to the Refinery 29 team for featuring The Dandy Project as one of the Four Best Men's Fashion Blogs. You made my stats go through the roof and my cheeks go a-blush at the same time.
Do you readers have any significant takeaways from the recent shows? Any items throbbing on your wish list, styles you aspire to emulate, pieces you'd like (me) to DIY? Do share!