Fashion Time   +  Inspiration

3.1 phillip lim s/s 11

The morning I went to their office, Gunji from Vogue Japan was nice enough to invite me to an exhibition of 3.1 Phillip Lim's spring collection later that afternoon in Sendagaya. I had about an hour of free time so I booked it over there as soon as I could. There was a lot of sickening gasping and fawning done by me over his "puzzle piece" collection...I was slightly bitter that I hadn't brought my bigger camera that day but luckily I had my Olympus in my bag.

The collection is sort of the very definition of cohesive and it gave me the feeling that it could provide something perfect for any given context. Looks that seemed like one piece on the runway actually break apart into two or three sections (maybe most resembling aprons, half-vests, and kilts?) that can be worn separately and can probably be taken to a really creative level given some time to try them on a few different ways. The neutral tones are perfect for the multilayered collection and the runway styling with hanging tassels, tied up leather belts, and clunky buckled platforms casually brings it all together. Plus there was just enough exposed ribcage to keep things interesting. My favorites if forced to decide are probably the sheer embellished trousers, salt and pepper knits, the x-back washed out green top, the very functional looking camera bag, and all that criss crossed rope detailing. Oh and this weird little leather pinafore I can't get out of my head. You can shop the pieces at Shopbop here and see Nancy Rohde's runway styling here. Thank you Gunji!