Fashion Time   +  Reviews

I DYED MY BOYFRIEND'S HAIR RED ON VALENTINE'S DAY
Mood [Full]
Currently Playing [None]
Clairol's Nice N' Easy Colour Blend Foam in 6R Light Auburn $9.97 CAD @ Walmart


As you can probably already tell by the title, I ended up dying JL's hair for Valentine's Day. We just ended up going out for dinner at Aji Sai Japanese Restaurant and then shopping at Walmart to see if we can grab some Valentine's Day chocolate for 50% off! HAHA! So as you can probably tell, we are both not that big on celebrating or doing anything special for Valentine's Day. We didn't even get each other anything because we wanted to save money for our maybe-happening Hong Kong/Japan trip during the summer.

But anyways, I had first heard about this new foam hair colour from Joyce's Luuux page and then I was instantly convinced to give this a try because I had always wanted to try foam hair colour. There are so many Japanese companies that had already made these foam hair dyes and I can't believe it's taken this long for North American companies to catch up with this trend. Some Japanese examples are Kao Prettia and Hoyu Beautylabo. The advantage of a foam application is that it makes it very easy to apply and control. It's supposed to be a non-drip formula as well so you can walk around while waiting for the hair to dye. I didn't want to test it out on my hair just yet because I had recently dyed my hair and I really like my current colour...so JL was more than happy to be my guinea pig. ^^

A little background info about JL's hair...he has very thin and fine hair. He has permed his hair many times and it's currently still permed. However, he hasn't coloured it for over 5 years now so his hair colour is natural.

Clairol Nice N' Easy Colour Blend Foam in 6R Light Auburn
This is what the package includes:
-Hair coloring agent 1
-Hair coloring agent 2
-Two sachet of after-dye treatment (a leave-in hair treatment)
-High quality gloves
-A pump dispenser for the hair dye
-And of course an instruction manual that's very easy to follow
What's really different is that the bottle has a line where it indicates the amount of hair dye required for short hair. This is something that I have not seen on any other hair dying bottles before. I thought that this was very useful especially since I was dying JL's hair instead of mine.
Instructions:
1. Mix two bottles (agent 1 & 2) together
2. Put on pump dispenser.
3. Tilt the bottle and squeeze the middle and the foam starts coming out.
4. Lather up the foam and cover all of the hair, then leave for 25 mins.
5. Rinse!
The foam wasn't as foamy as I had hoped. It was very liquidy at the beginning but it got a little better towards the end of the dying process. But it was still a little disappointing.
However, the foam formula does it make a lot easier to apply and spread evenly throughout JL's hair. It was very easy to tell which part was wet and which part still needed more hair dye.
A little trick: I always wrap my hair in a shower cap or in this case a plastic bag to ensure that the colour turns out nicely. The natural heat coming from your head will further activate the colour agents. You can also add additional heat to your hair if you want better result by using a blow dryer on low setting to heat up your head. After 25 minutes....you can see your results:

After
It was no surprise that the colour was nowhere near the colour on the box. =( I blame Asian hair for that. It's not really red as it is a dark brown. Plus, you can't really see the difference at all...his hair just looks black and even darker than before. I had to shine a bright light on his hair just to get a photo of the little amount of colour change. So both JL and I were quite disappointed with the results. I guess I'm going to be returning the box that I had original bought for myself, which was the 8G Medium Golden Blonde. I think Clairol is just not as good as L'Oreal. I'm going to be sticking with the L'Oreal Preference Les True Brunette colour instead. Maybe L'Oreal will make a foam colour soon?

PS, don't forget to enter my Dior, Sigma, Melliesh, Skin79 giveaway which ends March 9. Follow the link on the side bar!