Fashion Time   +  Susan Bottomly

submerging from your world and back into my bliss, a day rolled into one is burning on my lips
I can’t believe I never put two and two together – but the model of one of my all-time favorite Esquire covers (under the art director of George Lois) was none other than Warhol superstar Susan Bottomly. Susan was featured as “The New American Woman: through at 21” in the February 1967 issue as the glammy girl sticking out of a rusty trash can. Of the infamous image, Lois said “So I had her with her tush in the garbage can. I gotta tell you, some women hated it, but plenty of them were laughing their asses off. My wife said that she went to a beauty parlor that week, the month when it came out, and they hung it in the beauty parlor and the women were laughing their heads off.”The cover article for which Bottomly posed for was heavily revised to fit the statement-making image – “The article described a pseudotypical Los Angeles woman, prone to suicide, sexually jaded, hooked on pills and astrologically obsessed, who was supposed to be the wave of the future for all American women coming into their early 20s,” explained a Time article from 1967. The image comes from a 1966 photo session that Susan (who was by then Andy Warhol's partying partner-in-crime and dubbed "International Velvet") posed for with Warhol, by legendary photographer Carl Fischer. Title: from " As If By Magic" (La Roux)