Fashion Time   +  travel

SOMETHING I NOW APPRECIATE THAT I DIDN'T BEFORE
Mood [Hot]
Currently Playing [楊丞琳 - 雨愛]

Silence is golden.

With just over 1.3 billion people, China is the world's most populous country. As the world's population is approximately 6.7 billion, China represents a full 20% of the world's population. This means that one in every five people on the planet is a resident of China. Being such a populous country, everyone lives and works in close proximity to each other. Even the cubicles are smaller in the office.

The view from outside my room


One thing that I've noticed during my almost 3 week stay in Nanjing is that there has rarely been a single moment of silence. I'm constantly bombarded with people talking, cars honking, music playing or flies buzzing. Even in the comfort of my room at home, I can still hear either the arguments of the family above,the singing of the man below or the flute playing of the child next door. These sounds not only attack me during the middle of the night but it comes sneakily in the morning. It's close to impossible when it comes to getting a little peace of mind. Plus, the walls are so thin that I can even hear the conversation between my roommate and her parents from across the apartment.

Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoy all the murmurs and all the crowds. That's why I enjoy lively cities like Hong Kong and New York so much. However, these past 3 weeks have made me realize how much I long for the quieter moments as well. I miss those times that I had spent just strolling along in the park or driving on highway 404 in the middle of the night. I even miss that buzzing in my ear when the room is completely quiet. Silence is truly golden.