Fashion Time   +  Pamela Des Barres

sometimes it gets so confusing that i don't know where i am, but i always know who i'm with, i'm with the band
Last night, I went to go see Beirut perform. In addition to reigniting my unexplainably overwhelming desire to learn to play the accordion (I have no clue where this burning passion comes from, but oh how I wish I could have that level of finger dexterity) because seriously Perrin Cloutier is like the Hendrix of accordionists, seeing a band perform that incredibly reminded me of what it must have been like to be Bebe, Sable, Uschi and co. in the Seventies.
Everyone at the show was so into the music, just swaying to the beat, and incredibly absorbed by the guys on stage. And let me tell you, the boys in Beirut are total dreamboats. And while I do not pursue the same intimate relations as the groupie girls of yesteryear, I can completely understand the desire to. This is my ode to the girls who loved music as much as I do, but with plenty more self-confidence and seductive skills!
Here are some of my favorite girls, as well as some of my favorite looks from past and present that help me get in the groupie mindset:I hope it's not sacrilege to feature Sapphire as opposed to Penny - but Sapph's edgy black lace, tangles of necklaces, and red velvet pieces are so inspiring to me right now
"We are not groupies. Groupies sleep with rock stars because they wanna be near someone famous. We're here because of the music. We inspire the music. We are band aides." - Penny Lane, Almost FamousChris O'Dell has the perfect rocker girl hair - equal parts frizzy, curly and supremely cool I wish I knew who this girl is - she's incredibly beautifulThe inspiration for Miss Penny Lane: Bebe Buell
"As far as the groupie tag, I don't believe the word means now what it did in the '60s and '70s ... The innocence that once surrounded the word has been replaced by an almost 'anything goes' mentality. I'm sure it is an insult to girls like Pamela Des Barres, Cynthia Plaster Caster, and the GTO's - who coined it - to be lumped in the same category as women who sleep with anyone associated with a band or crew. That is not what a groupie is, in the old-fashioned sense ... The music was, and is, the most important thing to a true groupie of days." - Bebe BuellI love the New York Dolls (as pictured here in Creem Magazine) but I would never lay down on a sidewalk for them or any band ... sidewalks are dirty and I am vain"Being a real groupie is a talent on its own, and not one that can be performed by just anyone. Sex, while an important part of the groupie experience, is only one facet of the whole picture. A true groupie has a deep connection both to the music and the dimension in which musicians exist when they are performing. Rock and roll is a ritual and groupies are the high priestesses." - Pamela Des BarresThe GTOs are legends in the groupie world; individual photos on the bottom row are of Miss Pamela, Miss Sparky, and Miss Christine - only a small sampling of the colorful characters who made up this 60s/70s supergroup"When I was a young girl, I used to look at Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg and think those girls were gorgeous. I used to think, Jesus, they are so free. They are so wild-looking. These must be the girls that the guys write the songs about. These must be the girls that make the whole fucking thing tick. That was before they called girls 'groupies'." - Bebe BuellLou Doillon and Lizzy Jagger channel the styles from their parents' scene in pure seventies chic - minidresses in wild prints, sky-high heels, long unkempt locks and tons of eyeliner and banglesA mix of some of the most legendary girls who ran the Sunset Strip: Sable Starr, Lori Maddox, Queenie Glam, and Karen Umphrey - all sporting very enviable platform heelsThe bewitchingly beautiful Tina Aumont
"I'm a bit of a groupie." - Jerry HallA major figure in the German student movement of 1968, as well as romancer of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Jimi Hendrix, Uschi Obermaier is such a fascinating figure in both rock music and social activismThe incredible Charlotte Martin in a kaleidoscope of colors - light pink flowers on her hat, purple-y blue cape, and red tights
"Groupies are incredibly passionate spirits." - Pamela Des BarresSome of my favorite looks I want to channel at the next show I attend: Raquel Zimmermann (who reminds me a lot of Debbie Harry in that picture), two pairs of fab models, Anita Pallenberg in a feather boa, Marianne Faithfull in her famous Motorcycle leather bodysuit, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in garters and fur, a true groupie in a great headscarf, Debbie Harry in black belts and neckerchief
Title: from "I'm With the Band" (Little Big Town)