Fashion Time   +  Swinging London

do ya wanna touch, do ya wanna touch, do ya wanna touch me there?
One of the reasons I wish I was alive during the sixties was so that I could so many wonderful decade-centric films that are practically impossible to find nowadays. (Apparently modern movie studios think that we don’t want to see the cult classics of Swinging London. Bitter? Yes.)Thanks to my university library and our impressive Film & Media Studies department, I’ve been able to watch hard-to-find classics like Qui êtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?, Candy, and Wonderwall (even letting me writing a term research paper on Performance).  Still, there is a laundry list of films I still haven’t seen: Tonite Let’s All Make Love in London and Reflections on Love (starring Jenny Boyd), and currently at the top of my list, The Touchables. I was so excited when I came across this post on the film on the fabby blog theredtelephone. She recommended watching the film on Youtube, which some saint out there had uploaded a while back. But of course, as luck would have it, the Youtube links are no longer working. I went on a mission through various not-so-legal routes to try to find the film, even contemplating/reasoning the risk of a virus on my computer in order to download a sketchy copy of it. I know, I am a shame to all other film students! I am currently trying to patch together the film through various, disconnected clips online. From what I have gathered, the film explores sex and sexuality in the similarly taboo-meets-camp way of many other Swinging London movies. As for the plot: four ridiculously beautiful and stylish British dollies kidnap a rock star and 'torture' him with lovemaking. Suffice to say, the Touchables thrives more on visuals than content. The film, written by Donald Cammell, the genius behind Performance, and directed by Beatles' photographer Robert Freeman, stars a cast of lovelies including Monika Ringwald, Esther Anderson, Kathy Simmonds (who briefly dated George Harrison - you can read about it here), and Judy Huxtable. It has the gorgeously random film style of Wonderwall and Blowup, and the gorgeously mod darlings to act out in the scenery. The only readily-available part of the film is its soundtrack, downloadable on Amazon. It's great - full of swinging tunes and a great cover of Good Day Sunshine. Visuals gathered from: Martin Klasch, Listal, Mubi, Blue Sunshine, A Man Out of TimeTitle: from "Do You Wanna Touch Me" (Joan Jett ... technically Gary Glitter, but I like Joan more)