Fashion Time   +  Inspiration

oh how i've waited so long for summer nights, when there's magic in the air and i don't have a care
Please excuse the messy hair and gross skin - I fell victim to a post-dinner drive in a convertible with my younger brother at the wheel. Speeding around during a hot summer night may sound fun to some, but it wreaked havoc on my 'artfully messy' waves (which are now just 'messy messy' waves) and melted all of my makeup.  I've been on a very specific binge lately - wanting only turquoise, bronze, golden browns and light creams. I suppose that this binge has come to a head, as this is a 'lost weekend' of sorts for me - wearing my massive turquoise stone necklace to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and looking at no color but these two non-colors. I love the images that these hues and materials conjure up - Ralph Lauren advertisements, Native American jewelry, Ali MacGraw in her seventies hippie garb while hanging on the arm of Steve McQueen. Who can resist these connotations?Appropriately, my cuff is bronze with a turquoise center. The butterfly cuff has had a long history in my life - I rediscovered it a few years back while I was digging through my childhood costume jewelry box. It was a piece that my mother had given to me when I was just a little whip of a thing, a little girl who did not realize how cool the piece was. I know that Mariah Carey has sort of ruined the butterfly in recent years, but there is something so lovely, so innocent, and so seventies about this bracelet that I can overlook the Carey factor. A butterfly isn't the only creature on my bod tonight. I am wearing a necklace with a turquoise stone and swallow charm that I purchased at one of my favorite stores, The Gypsy Wagon. The white lace dress by Mystree was also a recent purchase from the Wagon. The hole-y shoes were purchased from Urban Outfitters, but the name of the actual designer of the shoes has long since rubbed off. They're perfect for the summer though - they are breezy and easy like sandals, which is great because I can't abandon my love for the menswear just because it's 102 degrees!I've owned this caramel-colored blazer since the 9th grade (good choice, fourteen-year-old self!) and I still wear it pretty regularly. It's by Sitwell, one of the labels that Anthropologie carries - I love the delicate ruffle details and the comfy corduroy-style material (but without those corduroy lines ... yet is corduroy still corduroy without the cord lines? I know, DRG is getting existential...) 
Title: from "Summer Nights" (Marianne Faithfull)