Fashion Time   +  Inspiration

a very fabb recap
It may have been raining cats and dogs on Wednesday, but that didn’t stop me and probably 200 other fantastically fashionable bloggers from coming out the Apella for Lucky Magazine’s second FABB Conference. As promised, here is my rundown of one of the best days of my life!Diane Von Furstenberg was the first up at the conference and she was more lovely and funny than I could have ever hoped! During her chat with Editor-in-chief Brandon Holley, DVF explained her love for Angry Birds and Solitaire, showed off her fabulous turquoise jewels and her new Harper-Connect bag (which I want, despite not having an iPad), as well as offering up some valuable life lessons: value the relationship you have with yourself above all others, have an identity outside of your career, all women should have children. I can still hear DVF saying, "The job and children are easy - husbands are the hard part." Other choice quotes from Diane are: "You learn most from your criticism. People who say 'I love you,' that's great - but you don't learn from that" and - one of my newest mantras - "when it's bullshit, it remains bullshit; when it's real, it remains real."  Next up was a discussion on "Building Your Brand" with Scott Lipps (president of One Management), Coco Rocha, Rachel Roy, Essie Weingarten (of Essie Cosmetics) and Rebecca Minkoff. Rachel and Essie got into a bit of a tiff over the rights of high street companies to make copies of designer items. Each woman had a valid point - Essie, from the anti-knockoff standpoint, said that it is difficult with a new line of polishes expected every 90 days to compensate for cheaper brands who copy her colors. Rachel, speaking from her background as a child and teen who wasn't able to afford designer items, praised these companies, saying "Thank god for H&M, Macy's and Zara!" She told an endearing story about how she once aspired to shop at Macy's, and that was why she chose them as the place to do her Rachel Rachel Roy line. The next panel discussed brands and bloggers working together, something that piqued the interest of many in the room. People from Club Monaco and White House Black Market offered the perspective of big brands, sitting alongside The Glamourai's Kelly Framel and NYU's Professor of Marketing Scott Galloway.  Around lunchtime rolled in “Hurricane Kardashian” – Kourtney, Khloé and Kim, with momager Kris and an entire reality tv camera crew in tow – to discuss their latest projects, including their Kardashian Kollection at Sears and to drop hints about their new novel. The girls even answered one of my questions - "who is your fashion hero?" I expected maybe names like Sophia Loren and Kate Moss to be tossed around, but the girls explained their great fashion icon was their mama, telling stories how when they were younger they would sit in their mom's closet and divvy up her clothes for 'after she died' - which was equal parts horrible and hysterical to hear.   To discuss "Setting the Trends," Lucky brought in execs from Bare Escentuals, High Line Venture Partners and Morpheus Media, as well as Phil Oh, the photographer behind Street Peeper, and Leandra Medine, the Man Repeller herself. Next was a discussion on "Building a Business," which included Lisa Gavales, the CMO of Express, the founders of The Coveteur (Erin Kleinberg and Stephanie Mark) and Thrillist (Adam Rich), as well as Rachel Zoe's other half Rodger Berman. To hear how people built their websites into lifestyle brands was fascinating, as was hearing how Rachel and Rodger started out. The final panel explored "What Platforms Are Right For You?" and included the cofounder of Birchbox, the marketing manager of Klout, and two of my favorite speakers - John Jannuzzi (editor of Lucky's Style Collective) and Ben Silbermann (cofounder of Pinterest), both of whom were really funny.   During the cocktail party that followed, Ellie Goulding performed, which was amazing because I've been wanting to see her live for months! At this point I was practically chugging champagne because I was so nervous about the awards. I met my "competition" Marian Kihogo in the bathroom and we discussed my imminent move to London in a few months. She generously and graciously offered me advice about my move - I was distracted though by her electric bubblegum pink lipstick, which was gorgeous!Basically after that is a blur of nerves, excitement, happiness, and champagne bubbles. You can watch the conference (and my nerdy little 'speech') here - but if you do, you have to promise not to tease me! I was in such a state. That night, I returned to my lovely room at the Chatwal Hotel on cloud nine. I've basically been in a dream ever since. 
Please enjoy some of my low-quality iPhone pics from the event!The fab Diane Von Furstenberg shows off her jewelryRebecca Minkoff, Rachel Roy and Coco Rocha pose for a picture, while Scott Lipps, Essie Weingarten, and Fashion News & Features Director (and all around awesome gal!) Jen Ford chat as Lucky's Caroline Waxler introduces their panelRachel Roy exits the stageThe Glamourai's Kelly Framel sits alongside Ann Watson, VP of Marketing & Communications for Club MonacoKhloé, Kim and Kourtney discuss