Fashion Time   +  designers

tucker by gaby basora, fall 2011
I am kinda really obsessed with the Fall 2011 collection for Tucker by Gaby Basora. I've long been a fan of Tucker (my measly high school allowance allowed me to finally get my hands on a few pieces years back with the Tucker/Target collaboration). There is such an amazing mix of inspiration throughout this collection - from the 1920s antique Oriental fan print to the Biba-esque wrap dresses and hot pants. The collection is a fantastic mix of great structured pieces matched with floaty items, all with the bold statement-making prints that Tucker is known so well for - perfect for the vintage-minded, bohemian gal with places to go!There is a long history regarding my love affair with black lace - it all started with my brief-but-overwhelming Madonna stage while I was in the seventh grade, and after that I never looked back. Miss Basora's take on the black lace is a little more 'like a sophisticate' than "Like a Virgin"The prints in this collection are dynamite. I love the sweet innocence of the Pleated Skirt, shown in the first picture, as well as the Gather Panel Dress in the far right photo for its utter seventies sophistication - I could imagine a gal like Ali MacGraw slipping on this number while going out on the town with Steve McQueenThese hot pants are technically called 'Short Briefs' but they're still hot! In these wild patterns and paired with those thigh-highs, the looks remind me of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver - which is always a good thing!I love this mix of rich browns - isn't that silk jacket with the moon fan print (second from the left) absolutely to die for? And I love the sashes tied around the neck in the first and third picturesAnother great example of Tucker's diverse mix of prints - the purple dress in the middle is called The Disco Dress, which I love. It's so appropriately titled - I could see any number of Studio 54 gals rocking this number. This is one of my favorite looks from the collection - it features the Yoke Blouse with knee-length Pleated Skirt and Slingback Peep Toe heels all in fun prints and earthy colors. It's such a dreamy combination of 1970s chic with 1930s cuts and proportionsA genius mix of pleated silk pants, ruched printed blouses and jumpsuits All the great shoes from the collection
If you're interested in buying pieces from the Tucker by Gaby Basora collection, visit Barneys New York, Net-A-Porter, Shopbop,