Fashion Time   +  muses

god gave me style and gave me grace, god put a smile upon my face
Alexa Chung stars in a photo shoot inspired by the mod fashions of the Swingin' Sixties for the October issue of Harper's Bazaar UK, wearing the throwback threads of Stella McCartney, Chloe, Prada, and Burberry that includes a rotation of minidresses that would make everyone from Twiggy to Jane Asher jealous. The accompanying interview is very sixties-centric, with Chung discussing everything from her favorite muses of the decade (Jane Birkin, Marianne Faithfull, Astrid Kircherr, and Jean Shrimpton are among the girls who make the list) and her decision to dress à la Birkin for the Met gala in a Christopher Kane creation. 
Here are some choice quotes from the article: 
On why the Sixties suit her body type: “My ex-boyfriend [photographer David Titlow] showed me Antonioni’s 1966 film Blow-Up in my late teens. I remember seeing Jane Birkin. And I couldn’t believe it. She even made just wearing a pair of tights look sexy. . . I think the Sixties vibe suits my body type, which is skinny legs and a boyish frame.”On loving the Sixties vibe: “It’s the groupie vibe that I’m attracted to. They had these amazing love affairs, and both the men and the women were made amazing by them. The girls in the Sixties were never overshadowed by the men they dated. You can talk about Jane Shrimpton without having to mention Bailey or Terence Stamp first.”On her own sixties-inspired A/W 11 collection with Madewell, J Crew: “I’ve invented this tartan mac, it’s like something the Shrimp would have worn. It’s got a round collar and a tie on it, so you can wear it like a cape without your hands in your sleeves.”On falling out of love with the Sixties … briefly: “I fell out of love with the Sixties for a while. I think because I was so identified with it. It’s like Sienna Miller when she did boho, then suddenly stopped because she was like, ‘Fuck. What else can I do, because I’ve done it?’ Everyone copied my sodding coat for a while too. It was my Harrods kid’s vintage one. Every girl suddenly had one and I was like, ‘Arrgh!’ I got really bored of smock dresses and loafers for a while. But I feel like I’m ready to fall in lve all over again.”Quotes from hereTitle: from "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" (Coldplay)