Fashion Time   +  Wonderwall

Jane Birkin's Wonderwall Wedding Style
Even though I feel quite old most of the time, I must acknowledge that at this stage in my life I am really still too young to participate in a lot of life-changing experiences in this modern day and age. Times have indeed a-changed, and it’s no longer as culturally acceptable or even possible to do things that young folks were doing a century – or even a decade – ago. (I try not to think about the accomplishments made by famous people of years past that I noted in my tragic post on my 20th birthday). Just a few decades ago, it was expected that girls ought to be married right after graduation. By that logic, twenty-five years of age was approaching spinster territory. That's not really the case anymore.  I, at the tender age of twenty-one, am not thinking about marriage. I should not be thinking about marriage -- only girls named Juliet Capulet or Miley Cyrus can get away with that without experiencing horrid backlash. But for us normal gals who are neither heroines of romantic tragedies or peroxide pixie pop stars, we probably shouldn’t be thinking about marriage until we’re out of school, living independently, and are stable financially, emotionally, mentally, and a myriad of other –ly words.  That being said, I think about weddings. A lot. Not in a weird crazy girls of Pinterest sort of way, but whenever I see gorgeous wedding pics (Pamela Love. Seriously stop it), or a beautiful wedding cake that my mother has made (she’s a baker, FYI, not a nutjob who just makes wedding cakes for fun) or an amazing bridal gown (my fave Stone Cold Foxhas been Instagram-ing pics of totally drop-dead dresses), I can’t help but swoon.  Last week, I wrote an article for my university newspaper about the genius of Jane Birkin (a post with that article is soon to follow). Looking through the many images I have saved on my computer of Jane, I of course eventually gravitated to one of my favorite of her films, WonderwallThe film is true sixties psychedelic genius and Jane is so incredibly beautiful as the mod model Penny Lane. Her style in the film is gorgeous and absolutely lustworthy, but the lasting image I have from that film is of Jane in her wedding attire. No other look has so epitomized the idea of the sixties sentiment to wear ‘flowers in your hair’ quite like this moment. A floral crown adorns her head and even more wild flowers are wrapped through her locks and around her billowing white gown.  This look is the ultimate wedding style in my opinion, and I’m not the only one to think so. Leandra Medine of the Man Repeller seems to have taken a cue from Jane for her own wedding from earlier this year by pairing her princess-like Marchesa designer gown with a floral crown, and adding her own man repeller-y touch of Dannijo jewels and a satin moto jacket. Jane herself even seems to have been inspired by her Wonderwall look, wearing a toned down version of the outfit with Serge Gainsbourg a few years later. What do you think of Jane's Wonderwall bridal look -- would you ever wear it for your wedding?