Fashion Time   +  Shop It to Me

Shop It to Me: Dress Like a Female Jimi Hendrix
It's no secret how much I love Jimi Hendrix -- I've written at length about how I am endlessly inspired by his music and life, but haven't given enough credit to how profoundly he shaped my fashion aesthetic. His dandy-militaristic-flower child look was so influential and really captures a moment in time so perfectly -- a time of neon stage lights, multicolored beads, smoky nightclubs and Sgt. Pepper. I've read that he styled his hair after the crazy 'fro of Mr. Bob Dylan, but just think of how Jimi's look influenced others: Eric Clapton's Cream-era curls, Brian Jones' impish Monterey Pop style, and artists of today like Lenny Kravitz, Wiz Khalifa and Andre 3000 (who plays the late artist in an upcoming biopic). And not to mention the legions of unknowns like myself who are disciples of his style. I think that everyone -- at least, every sane human being that I chose to acknowledge in my life -- has gone through a Jimi Hendrix phase. My phase has just happened to last twenty-two years. If you're like me, you're in the mood for some summery psychedelic fashions. I visited Box Clothing for all my foxey lady finds:Jimi was the master of mixing prints. Start with a dramatic floral base for your outfit like this Jovonna 'Carleen' blouse. Adding a military-inspired jacket is so sixties -- the diamante detail in this shirt jacket by Le Breve makes it more the swinging Sgt. Pepper chic of 1967 than the earthy protester style several years later. Bask in a purple haze in these fab skinny jeans by Replay -- the tailored leg reminds me of the Mod cuts of lots of Jimi's looks.  Jimi was all about the luxe details -- heavy embroidery, lapels covered in patches and pins, as well as multiple rings and pendants. This kind of pirate-like approach to accessorizing makes even Johnny Depp pale in comparison. Finishing off your outfit with a bright scarf in colors that are different from (but still complement) the rest of your outfit, like this one by St Martins, is totally Jimi. Wrap it around your head, loosely tie it around your neck or loop it around your upper arm as you're playing guitar, and you'll be bold as love!