Fashion Time   +  style

Adventures in Art

For all of my 30+ year career, I used the analytical side of my brain (and used it a LOT I might add) - so much so that I didn't even know there was another side to my brain. Digi Scrap Designing has helped me explore art a little more and very recently I've become enchanted by the mixed media art form.

Mixed media means exactly that - you use a variety of tools such as various kinds of paints, pencils, paper, ephemera, crayons, inks, etc. I suppose that's what appeals to me so much about this art form. There are no rules. You can't do it wrong, you just do. After so many years of setting the rules and following rules (well, ok maybe not always following the rules) it is refreshing and exciting to try something at which you cannot make a mistake.

It's one thing to create art (with all that's involved with that self doubt) and it's totally another thing to show it to the world. So I've decided to force myself out of my comfort zone and just go for it. For better or worse, for richer for poorer (definitely poorer - good thing there's no Hobby Lobby out here in the boonies! Amazon Prime is my best friend!).

As you'll see, this particular art form (for me at least) is very folk-artish and, well, primitive I guess, in style. Which really works for me because I couldn't draw a stick figure if my life depended on it. Which by the way is something I'm working to change!

First up, something I made for a good friend who recently had one of those "landmark" birthdays.

Click to Enlarge
This is a 12 x 6 canvas that has lots of layers and textural background (which you'll see is one of the trademarks of this kind of art). It's done by randomly attaching various paper bits to the canvas and adding paint, letting everything dry and then adding more - in this case it was some stamps and stencil work. Once the background was dry, I sketched the bird and flowers. When I was brave enough, I used water color pencils to add color and when that dried, used a black pen to doodle over and outline the shapes to add some dimension, I printed out and cut up the words of the quote, attached them, and then doodled around them as well. I used a brown/orange-y wash (paint mixed with water - see how much I'm learning) around the edges of the canvas. When everything was dry I added a coat of Collage Pauge to the entire canvas to keep it all in place (forever, judging by the amount of adhesive I used).
My friend said she really liked it (after all, what would a friend say??) and has it displayed in her office. Deep sigh of relief and ready to try another one! Stay tuned!