Fashion Time   +  Vintage Finds

Hoarding and Tetanus Shots

hoard = a collection of valuable objects

What do you collect and why?

What is it about these objects that make us always want more...and most of the time, impulsively?
Why do we continue the hunt, even when our cupboards are overflowing with vintage finds?
Why can we not NOT look at Craigslist, the classifieds and stop at every Estate sale sign we see in passing (and regret with a sense of loss if we missed one!)

I take complete credit for coining 'Rust and the Crust '...offering a description of the vintage things I find I need to have around me, to appreciate and admire. They bring me comfort and a sense of 'home'. The more Rust and Crust present, the more I want it...even if it makes me stop and ponder Hmmmm...when was my last tetanus shot again...?

A million layers of paint peeling and barely remaining on a weathered piece of furniture
An old wood framed mirror in poor shape, silver peeling from the back, with smokey splotches so bad you can barely see your reflection
Old metal objects crusted in thick rust...or even better yet, old metal objects with chippy paint AND rust!
Wooden objects showing so much use by the smooth parts where someones hand or finger was placed repeatedly
Tarnished and battered showing making me wonder about previous owners
They have pages missing, personal notes scribbled in them

These things I scour for and hoard like gold.

They adorn my walls, they are staggered or layered sticking out of crates or drawers, they are nailed or bolted to my walls (like my 109 year old barn door on my livingroom wall).
I look into them, wrap up in them and even eat and drink from them.

Today I gently cleaned up 70 years of greasy grimy kitchen grease off of some new pieces to my collection of...

Vintage metal Towel, Soap and Cup holders with chippy creamy white paint

Why do I collect towel and soap holders? I have no idea.

As I continued to pull out more of MY things, I also started to wonder;

Why do I collect vintage lemon juicers?

Things with stars?

Old chicken feeders, waterers?

Drawer pulls, door knobs, hinges, strike plates, escutcheons...?

Heart rocks?

Old Wire Fencing, barbed and chicken wire?

Old Antique Lamp shades?

...I hope a few of you will take the time to share what you hoard (collect) and why.