Fashion Time   +  shopping

Manila's Own Bespoke Footwear
Marikina, a city in Metro Manila, is quite renowned for the shoes it produces. Cobblers from Marikina crafted a huge part of Imelda Marcos' shoe collection. Marikina also produced the world's largest pair of shoes.But I never really considered wearing a pair of Marikina-made shoes, because, to be honest, I thought they were rather low on style and quality.Cubao Expo: cafes, boutiques, vintage shops. From Manila Rat.

That was until I visited Solimann shoes, a shoe store in pinoy hipster hangout Cubao Expo. Everything here is made in Marikina.Inside Solimann shoes. The guy in charge of the store is a really nice man. Photo from Lime Basil.
Solimann shoes offers a selection of mostly vintage-style footwear for men and women, as well as a bespoke service at quite a reasonable price. (Bespoke men's shoes go for about USD 85 a pair.) I spotted quite a few prospective buys: really cheap canvas combat boots, two-tone oxfords, these gray boots that I did not buy:and the silver house slippers in the background. Seriously! There were also a pair of fabulously kitsch mint green two-inch-heeled boots, which, of course, I didn't purchase.

Now on to the things I did buy:
Taupe boots with quite a substantial heel, about an inch and a half i think. My poor man's alternative to the YSL Jonny boots.Blue penny loafers. They're sort of a faded royal blue in person, and the leather is buttery-stretchy sheepskin.Originally commissioned by the mayor of the province of Tarlac, he didn't pick them up so I was able to get the shoes at a low, low price. I still keep the tag attached to the sole; it feels nice to wear a pair of shoes made for a politician.I'm thinking of having a pair custom-made. Ever since I saw this picture on Sart, I've been lusting for a pair of oxblood lace-up boots.The guy at the shop says I can bring in pictures of what I want to have made, and I can modify accordingly. I plan on patterning mine after these boots by Carmina, old-school and sharp!Do you have any dream shoes you'd want to have made? Or perhaps a concept for a shoe that lingers in your head? Do share.