Fashion Time   +  Marilyn Monroe

love me, love me, feed the flame
Marilyn with her beloved No. 5 For quite a while I have been compiling a list of retro stars and the perfumes they use(d). Anytime I see the name of a scent in a book, magazine, webpage, interview, anyplace really, I will write it down. I don't include celebrity endorsed or manufactured perfumes because more often than not the person didn't use the fragrance regularly. I always find it very fun to go and try out these scents just to see if what appeals to my favorite actors also appeals to me. Here are some of what I have found over the years:
  • Chanel No. 5 - Marilyn Monroe, Jackie Kennedy, Ali MacGraw
  • Chanel No. 22 - Catherine Deneuve (occasionally)
  • Femme by Rochas - Mae West, Edie Sedgwick
  • Jicky by Guerlain - Brigitte Bardot, Pattie Boyd, Anita Ekberg, Collette
  • Je Reviens by Worth - Jane Asher
  • L'Interdit by Givenchy - Audrey Hepburn (created specially for her), Elizabeth Taylor
  • Fleurissimo by Creed - Grace Kelly (commisioned by Prince Rainier on their wedding day), Queen Elizabeth II, Jackie Kennedy
  • Mitsouko by Guerlain - Jean Harlow, Ava Gardner, Ingrid Bergman
  • Norell by Revlon - Faye Dunaway
  • Shalimar by Guerlain - Rita Hayworth, Britt Ekland, Patti Hansen, Alexandra and Theodora Richards, Gina Lolobrigida, Shirley Maclaine
  • Fracas by Robert Piguet - Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Princess Caroline of Monaco
  • Arpege by Lanvin - Jacqueline Bisset, Jayne Mansfield in "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?"
  • Joy by Jean Patou - Jackie Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Josephine Baker, Gloria Swanson
  • Jasmal by Creed - Natalie Wood (created for her)
  • L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain - Catherine Deneuve, Bianca Jagger, Ursula Andress
  • Vent Vert by Balmain - Brigitte Bardot, Greta Garbo
  • Le De Givenchy - Audrey Hepburn, Bette Davis