Fashion Time   +  Sienna Miller

heavy metal
Every time December 31st rolls around, I get the itch to put on my most fab sparkly dress, my Edie shoulder-duster earrings, the thickest false lashes that I can get my fingers on, and go out on the town. You see, on these nights I imagine my life slowly evolving into a Jane Birkin movie. In my mind, if I only put on my swingingest minidress and go out, dancing or something, I can find a Serge of my own. Sadly, these urges to dress up are usually in vain because I normally spend my New Year’s Eve watching Dick Clark, waiting for the ball to drop and for a glass of champagne. Tonight, I will break the mold. I am going out with some girlfriends and, though I won’t have a midnight kiss, I will finally be able to wear a sparkly dress and thick eye makeup and have my own Jane Birkin moment. I don’t need a kiss tonight, all I need is a little glitter. Here is an ode to some of my favorite girls wearing the heaviest, glamorous, most glittered, sequined, and sparkled dresses to help every get into the New Year's mood!This is my ultimate look: backcombed hair, thick black eyeliner, and a simply smashing gold sequined minidressI absolutely adore Mia Farrow's look as Daisy Buchanan at one of the infamous 'Gatsby' partiesAudrey Hepburn in a fabulous Paco Rabanne dress in Two For the Road - it was reworked by the designer from his 1964 line of 'Unwearable Dresses' for the filmBaba Beaton, in a 1925 photograph entitled "A Symphony of Silver," by her brother CecilThe sensational Bianca Jagger often sported metallic threads and glittery accessories during her heyday as the Studio 54 It-Girl in the 1970sSome looks from the Biba clothing line throughout the late '60s and '70sBlake Lively looks every inch a glam girl-next-door in a sequined blazer and black knitted cap with sequined broocheCelebrities like Dita Von Teese, Mary Kate Olsen, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard, and Lara Stone all try their hands at the look From the severe runway look to the metallic gowns that Beyonce, Olivia Wilde, and Brooke Shields look almost poured into, dressing in 'heavy metal' really makes a statementThe legendary statement-maker Cher rocks a sequined gown and feather boaThough not recommended in this late-December cold, a silver swimsuit is quite on point (perhaps put on a big fur coat to keep warm if you decide to go this route)Donyale Luna, legendary supermodel and muse to Paco Rabanne, rocks the metal fruits of the designer's laborEdie Sedgwick, 'Superstar' and fashion icon, wore metallics almost as loud as her eye makeup - utterly sensationalInnocent chanteuse France Gall tries out the edgy metalluc fashionsSuch designs from Courreges and Rabanne really require a boyish, lanky, super-tall figure - perfect for Francoise Hardy Ginger Rodgers in a gilded gown and jewelsIf you cannot find a metallic dress, why not try a gold-leafed hairstyle? The fab Jane Birkin, my inspiration for the entire eveningJane Fonda in BarbarellaJean Shrimpton, or 'The Shrimp', had the super-thin body that was perfect for this lookJerry Hall rocks the style in her usual glamazon wayKate Moss - brilliant beyond words Lady Gaga in "Paparazzi" - never has anyone had a more fabulous mug shotLauren Hutton sports metallic dresses, heavy necklaces, sequined frocks, and every shiny thing in the spectrum - such a style superstarMiley Cyrus "Can't Be Tamed" in a metallic bustier. Models in Paco Rabanne's duds What would a list of great style gals be without Pattie Boyd? David Bailey's muse and his former great love, Penelope Tree If only I could get a star headdress of my ownCarole Lombard, with her husband Clark GableSienna Miller - whether channeling Edie or being her former uber-hippie self, she looks unbelievably gorgeousPaula Gellibrand, the Marquesa de Casa Maury, photographed by Cecil Beaton in 1928Love the full-on body paint in Goldfinger (but don't forget to let some of your skin to go unpainted - don't want to go the way of Jill Masterton)This image perfectly encapsulates the major trends of the Sixties - from the Rabanne-inspired dress to the  mod glasses, hippie hat, and Indian beadsVeruschka looks luminous in metallic makeup and headpiece Models sporting Rodger Vivier in an editorial shot inspired by the futuristic metallic trends of the west and richly colored luxe-ness of the east
Hope everyone has a good eve evening - and see you all in 2011!