Fashion Time   +  France Gall

doll, i need to see you pull your knee socks up
I love France Gall's yé-yé style - her penchant for smart miniskirts, bold minidresses, tailored sweaters, and sweet hair accessories is rivaled by only one thing: her love of knee socks. 
For years, the thought of knee socks immediately brought me back to the uniformed days of high school, when I wore knee socks every day with my skirt, buttondown, blazer, and saddle shoes. Whenever I looked at a pair of knee socks, I was immediately fifteen years old again. It was all like a terrible acid flashback, but instead of seeing trippy psychedelic colors, I was seeing green-and-white plaid.
But the way that France has worn knee socks here – in many different ways, and with many different styles – it makes me want to break out a pair of my oft-worn knee-highs and dance around to swinging tunes in my bedroom (perhaps "Laisse tomber les filles" - my France Gall song of choice). And with a style as sweet as her voice, who wouldn't want to look like the girl who Serge Gainsbourg dubbed the French Lolita? 
Title: from "Butterfly" (Jason Mraz)