Fashion Time   +  Rolling Stones

play on, play on
Image via MTV StyleI am really excited about John Ridley's biopic about Jimi Hendrix, starring Andre 3000 as the late singer. Mainly because I want to have Andre 3000's babies. The casting choice is perfect because in the past I have mused about how I would also like to have had Jimi's babies. Funny how that works out. The film is called All is By My Side and it will focus on the years just before Hendrix exploded on the music scene. Based on the photos that are coming in of Andre on the set, I think that the production is doing a great job capturing the spirit and style of the times. Hendrix's look was so distinctively his own but Andre masters his psychedelic coolness with finesse.
The film is just the first of a string of projects developing right now that explore the music scene of the late sixties and seventies. Unclaimed Freight Productions is producing a film about CBGB, the famous nightclub frequented by Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, Stiv Bators and pretty much all the other members of rock royalty. There is also a Rolling Stones film in the works about the making of their masterpiece Exile on Main Street. Harry Styles' name is being tossed around to play Mick, which I think is a somewhat fine choice. Though a bit young to play the musician (who was in his late twenties when Exile was written - keep in mind that Harry is only eighteen), Styles has both the singing ability and that Jagger swagger necessary to play the role -- but I honestly can't think of any young musician or actor competent enough to portray Mick (I'm just a bit protective I suppose).
Personally I wish to see that Marianne Faithfull biopic come to fruition sometime very soon. Her life is so interesting that it would come off well as a narrative, but it has a happy ending which is rare for biopics. But obviously the production on that film hasn't advanced because they haven't the right girl (i.e. me) to play Faithfull.
Title: from "If 6 Was 9" (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)