Fashion Time   +  Wildlife

It's a hummingbird highway

Last night was warm and inviting to walk around the garden a bit before calling it a day.

The Rufous hummers are overtaking the back garden with numbers and force. AND I'm itchin ' to snap some good photos of the males in the evening time. Their iridescent orange throats flash like fire...and it's breath taking.

So armed with my sweater and fully charged batteries in my new camera I'm still learning to use, I decided to pose as motionless as possible right in front of the corner porch post. This is about one foot away from the feeder and even nearer to a large potted maple tree.

Sweater and camera was only the basics, as no one suggests in the stack of Northwest Bird watching books that I have collected over the years that if you want to get that close to observe defending male hummers, one obviously requires a hard hat and either aviator glasses or a welding shield .

Number of times L has been hit in the head by a hummingbird

IIII

The number of chances of course increase when you can count at least seven hummingbirds chasing each other. Between my fumbling and switching my camera settings, dodging hummers and feeling the 'wind' as they zipped past my face, I was positive that I finally was able to get at least ONE clear shot to share with you.

It was one of those moments that went so fast, but seemed like it took forever...

I finally yanked the white tea towel that was tucked into my apron and quickly gave it a few waves, as I ran like mad across the patio and found myself safe back in the house.

It was a dangerous mission, but I knew my efforts had finally paid off as I waited impatiently for the 28 photos to download.

So, I'm sure just like I was last night, you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to see them...here are the top three BEST shots.

Landing on a cattle panel

Uhhh ...

Double uhhh...

And this my friends, is why National Geographic will not be calling me for a job.

Have a fantastic Saturday!